The Hawaii Department of Transportation (HDOT) has released lane closures for the island of Kauai for the week of May 1 – May 7, 2021.
In March 2021, heavy rains caused a massive landslide on Kuhio Highway at Mile Marker 1 on the hill between the Hanalei Bridge and Princeville. The debris has been cleared and work is continuing on slope stabilization. Due to the work, the inside lane on the highway is closed for construction. As a result, the highway is only open during certain times to facilitate repairs.
Monday through Saturday
- Morning access: 5:30 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. (Hanalei side goes first)
- Afternoon access: 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. every day except Wednesdays (Princeville side goes first)
- Wednesday afternoon access: 12:45 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. (Princeville side goes first)
- Evening access: 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. (Princeville side goes first)
- (Note, afternoon access was planned around Hanalei School schedule)
Sundays and observed State Holidays
- 5:30 a.m. to 11 p.m. (Hanalei side goes first)
HDOT reports the following progress on the slope stabilization at Hanalei Hill
- 128 out of 500 planned soil nails to anchor slope have been drilled into place and grouted.
- Top two rows have been substantially completed, working on third row.
- Weight restriction to highway above the slide increased to 10 tons.
- Design on lower portion of anchor wall and drainage system continues.
KAUMUALII HIGHWAY (ROUTE 50)
In addition to the Hanalei road issues, HDOT has issued the following notices for Route 50:
Right lane closure of Kaumualii Highway (Route 50) in the westbound direction between mile markers 7.8 and 8.4, Kaumualii Highway and Punee Road, on Monday, May 3, through Tuesday, May 4, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for shoulder cleaning and vegetation removal work. One lane east and one lane west will be open at all times.
Right lane closure of Kaumualii Highway (Route 50) in the westbound direction between mile markers 9.9 and 10.4, Akemama Road and Kua Road, on Wednesday, May 5, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for tree trimming and vegetation removal work.
Right lane closure of Kaumualii Highway (Route 50) in both directions between mile markers 20.8 and 22.4, Kaumualii Highway and Waimea Road, on Tuesday, May 4, through Wednesday, May 5, from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for guardrail work and landscape maintenance.
Right lane closure of Kaumualii Highway (Route 50) in both directions near mile marker 24, Kaumualii Highway and Kekaha Road, on Monday, May 3, from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., for landscape maintenance.